Friday, May 26, 2006

HK finance minister

Went along with Kin to attend this mini student forum (or any better word) held by the HK finance minister whatshisname, on his Oceanic tour. Quite an eye opening, a few HK chicks were rather cute... heheh. They have their nice dressing sense, as always. MmmmMmmm

So anyway, the forum was mostly in Cantonese, which I understand to an extent, held in a very informal venue. It wasn't even in a lecture theatre, just behind a partitioned wall. Blocked by the people in front I saw his face at the beginning and at the end. Whatshisname was also very easy-going, cracking jokes along the way. I've never been to any Singaporean Government/Ministers forum so I don't know the comparision, I said to Kin.

Questions by the floor, some good some bad some silly. Kin was particularly irritated by the silly questions to the minister, "I study this-this, will I get a job in HK when I return?" There was at least one fella studing aerospace engineering, asking what should he do when future in HK is bleak for such a career choice. And the gem, this fella studing mental health, asking what prospects he has in HK.

Then Kin was also incensed by this 'trouble-maker' posing questions on the unreported incidents in the China Government and how that affects HK, etc. Well I told him that happens in S'pore too. But didn't get around to add, it's not excatly trouble-making if you're not thinking with a nationalist heart. My opinion anyway.

Later at dinner he mentioned that I should have posed a question. I had no intention of revealing I'm a wolf amongst the sheep (lolz) and besides, even in the diner I really couldn't think of anything good to ask. It's not as though I've got indepth knowledge of finance, anywhere period. And it's also very hard to phrase a opinion/comment/observation/question without sounding as though I were critising. Who the heck likes to hear some yahoo from another country passing comments on your own country/people?

'Cos there was this mainland lady who came with some HK friends and she was commenting her opinion that she rather pitied (maybe not the excat word) her friends as they like to congregate within their own community and some/most fail to improve their command of the English Language. She was speaking fluent English by the way, and learnt Cantonese from her friends. Quite capable of judgement I reckon. Anyway I can't really recall what the minister replied, I have a feeling it was rather weak. And her friends are probably feeling weak too. She was the last one anyway so he was probably wanting to leave.

In one way Kin was not very happy with her, because she was 'making trouble'... while on the other hand Kin agreed that most of his community has blinkers on. Competition is good, it sives the riff-raff. Well, he says his 2 other friends who were there were good in business. Just a pity they didn't ask any questions.

Oh the good question, only one according to Kin, was about GST. I can't recall what I heard or did not hear... hah.

Finally Kin did mention the minister has a nickname: Dai Siew Pien (ya my translation sucks), but I didn't see the resemblence. What a let-down!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home